Serving Size: 1 cup
Yield: 7 servings
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 pound ground beef
1 can (16 ounce) tomatoes
1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley (optional)
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
2 cups cooked egg noodles
3/4 cup cottage cheese, lowfat
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Chop onion. Cook beef and onion, in the frying pan until beef is brown and onion is tender. Drain off excess fat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, water, and garlic powder to the beef mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce is thick, about 25 minutes.
- Cook noodles in the saucepan according to package directions. Drain.
- Add cooked, drained noodles to the beef mixture. Stir to prevent sticking.
- Mix cheeses and drop by spoonfuls into the frying pan.
- Cover and heat over low heat about 5 minutes. Refrigerate leftovers.
Notes: To decrease fat and cholesterol, omit the beef and add vegetables such as broccoli or zucchini to the sauce.
Per Recipe: $ 4.28
Per Serving: $ 0.61
Eating Right is Basic
Nutrition Education Program
Michigan State University Cooperative Extension Service
Michigan State University Cooperative Extension S
Courtesy of the National Agricultural Library, Agricultural Research Service, U. S. Department of Agriculture.